Lightship LV 53/WAL501 was built in 1892 in West Bay City, Michigan, and amazingly remained in service until it was decommissioned on June 15, 1951 in Boston, MA.
It served as the Frying Pan Shoal Lightship in North Carolina from 1892 to 1896 and served as various other locations and under other names until finishing its career from 1934 to 1951 as the Stone Horse Lightship in Massachusetts.
The vessel was eventually sold for scrap and the owner of the Beacon Restaurant in Yardville, NJ, which later became Giovi's Restaurant, and more recently the 130 South Restaurant, acquired its lantern room and mast. There must be an interesting story about how and why it was acquired by the owner of the Beacon Restaurant, how it got it to the site, photos of it being installed etc. But we have
been never been able to uncover the full story.
If any of our readers can help, we'd appreciate hearing from you by emailing us at Editor@LighthouseDigest.com or writing to us at Editor, Lighthouse Digest. P.O. Box 250, East Machias,
This story appeared in the
September 2007 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.