Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Tillamook Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Tillamook Rock Light

Nearest Town or City:
Seaside, Oregon, United States

Location: One mile from Tilamook Head.

Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Donna Greene
Related Photos

Since 1980 this lighthouse has been a columbarium (repository for the ashes of the deceased). It was considered one of the most difficult and isolated stations for keepers.

Tower Height: 62

Height of Focal Plane: 133

Description of Tower: Square white tower on roof of keeper's dwelling.

Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.

This light is not operational

Date Established: 1881

Date Present Tower Built: 1881

Date Deactivated: 1957

Optics: 1881: First Order Fresnel lens that was removed in 1934 and replaced with double tier aero beacon

Current Use: Columbarium.

Open To Public? No.

The lighthouse can be seen from Ecola State Park off US 101, two miles north of Cannon Beach. Call (541) 436-2844 or (800) 551-6949 for information.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Albert Roeder (1881), George M. Rowe (1881 – 1882), Fred B. Cosper (1882), C.D. Varnum (1882 – 1884), Joseph Hornung (1884 – 1887), Charles H. Davis (1887), George A. Hunt (1887 – 1892), Rasmus Petersen (1892 –1893), Hans P. Score (1893), Rasmus Petersen (1893 – 1894), Marinus A. Stream (1894), Alexander K. Pesonen (1894 – 1898), Axel Rustad (1898 – 1900), George H. Stillwell (1900 – 1903), William T. Langlois (1903 – 1910), William Dahlgren (1910 – 1919), Robert Gerlof (1919 – 1928), William Hill (at least 1930 – 1936), Ed Luderger (1937- at least 1940), George H. Wheeler (1942 – 1952), Oswald Allick (1952 – 1957); Jim Gibbs (assistant 1945-1946).


to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse Jewelry

Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History